1.06.2014

Fleece EARwarmer - Tutorial and Pattern

 I started out on my earwarmer quest, inspired by the beautiful ones over at Delia Creates.  Sometimes, you don't quite need a hat.  An earwarmer is a fun way to add a pop of color and stay warm.
Using Delia's as my inspiration, I came up with a slightly different way of putting it together.  And, I made a downloadable pattern too.

Download pattern HERE.

All you need is some fleece and thread. 

Download and print the pattern.  Place the marked edge on the fold of the fabric and cut.  Be sure to pay attention to which way the fabric stretches the most, and lay your pattern down with the direction of stretch.  You'll need 2 pieces cut this way.
A note on sizing; the pattern is sized for my child-sized head and fits my 7 year old well.  Yes, I do have a very small head!  However, if you want make it bigger, all you have to do is slide the pattern over from the fold and cut it a bit larger.

You should have 2 pieces of fleece that look like this.

With right sides together, sew along the 2 long edges, leaving the shorter sides open.

Turn right side out.
Topstitch.
Match the shorter sides and sew with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
Try it on and make sure the fit is good.

Sew the seams flat.
Add a pretty embelishment.  Done!
So easy, you can make one for every day of week.
What style will you make?

14 comments:

  1. Very nice, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAUW thats nice ,how do you make the flowers on the yellow and green ear warmer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy. I used this video tutorial to make the flowers. http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2010/11/ask-and-ye-shall-receive.html
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. This is great! I had been using a knitted ear warmer for the last year and I recently washed it- welp it shrunk just enough to stop covering my ears comfortably. I was devastated! Especially because it was a gift and I don't know how to knit to create a new one! This is exactly what I need to replace it and I think you could easily add snaps to the back to keep your hair from getting messy when putting it on or removing it! Thanks a ton! <3

    Mae
    www.thelifeofacompulsivecrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!! And looks warm, too! I've linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-fleece-ear-warmer-headband/2014/01/08/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I found your beautiful Blog! So many lovely things to inspire me!
    Most certainly you see me back.
    A hug,
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great pattern, and I love the picture of your daughter. I need to try this for my daughter that refuses to wear hats! I've featured your tutorial at Sewistry-- http://sewistry.com/2014/01/free-pattern-fleece-earwarmers. I hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the pattern.
    I am going to make a couple of these, one for the wife and one for me.
    I am going to try tucking one end in the other, fold under the edge and sew it up. That should leave one seam all way around instead of two little flaps.

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. could we cut it a little longer and turn under one edge a inch or so to go over the other raw edge(putting one inside the other) and then sew on top of that so there would be that seam showing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Will have to try that....

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the pattern - just what i needed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the pattern. It is perfect! I just made a plain red one in less than 1/2 hour. Perfect for walking the dog in the wind and chill. I might try embroidering before sewing next time, just for something different. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete